Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner

TH and I are in a little friendly weight-loss competition. We don't want to call it "The Biggest Loser" because that's taken and it's been waaaay overused at this point. So then we thought of "The Big Winner" but that seems cheesy. So I've settled on "Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner," an old phrase I've heard before but never really loved until hearing Guy Fieri say it on my favorite guilty pleasure Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on FoodTV. We're weighing in weekly, and I'm keeping track of measurements -- TH doesn't want to do measurements because being a guy he wants his arms and chest to get bigger.



I don't really have time for Weight Watchers meetings right now so I'm doing the online program, which I don't love as much as the meetings but at least I can track what I'm eating pretty easily. As of right now I'm only about 10 pounds away from where I was 18 months ago before I knew I was pregnant with Jr. As I suspected, since I stopped breastfeeding a few weeks ago I finally got off the plateau I was on and it's also been easier to exercise. The hardest part right now is the frigging HEAT here in Vegas - we just had a record-breaking July with average NIGHT TIME temperatures of 97 degrees. So it's difficult finding a comfortable time to get out and run; I've found that around 5am is best but trying to get myself used to waking up that early has taken some time. Jr. usually makes it til around 4:30am before waking for a bottle, so now I've been making myself get up and get out of the house once he's back down, as soon as it's light enough for me to feel safe alone on the roads. I know. That's pretty early. But alot is at stake.



Which brings me to the Chicken Dinner part of this. In order to make things...interesting, TH and I have a little wager going on. Jr.'s first birthday is in exactly 8 weeks (gaaaah!! already??), and whoever loses the most weight by then is the winner. Of what, we're not sure yet. It has to be good. That's the first deadline. The second deadline, which is really just my own personal goal, is 2 years from now. Yep, I said 2 years. In two years, TH and I will have our 10th wedding anniversary. When we got married eight years ago, we were pretty much your typical broke newlyweds -- I was still in vet school with TH supporting us both on an entry-level salary. Long story short, we didn't go on a honeymoon. So my personal goal is (deep breath) to get into Bikini Shape in time for us to go somewhere beachy for our 10th anniversary/belated honeymoon. That may not sound like much to you, but here's the thing. I have never been in Bikini Shape in my life. Ever. Not when I was in high school, not when I was in my early 20s, never. I actually weigh less and look better now than I did 10 years ago when I was 23. So for me to wear a bikini would be HUGE.



Now I've put it out there, and I guess that means I've gotta see this thing through. In 8 weeks I fully expect to be collecting...something from TH as the Chicken Dinner Winner. In two years, I fully expect -- well, I fully hope -- to be wearing a bikini on a beach somewhere looking like the MILF my husband swears I am. I'll keep you posted...

5 comments:

LauraC said...

TEAM DESI!!!

You know I am doing boudoir pics with Cathy in October right? Bikini ready is my goal too. I went through my wedding photos and was like DAMN the last five years has not been kind.

JenFen said...

I think it is great that you and hubby have turned it into a friendly competition and being bikini ready for your 10 year anniversary is a very worthy goal. Keep up the hard work. Can't wait to see you in October!

Joanna said...

Weight lose against TH sounds like a great strategy. Kick his butt! No matter who wins though, it ends up being a win/win for both of you.

Bikini? gulp...you are braver than I!

Heidi O said...

I like your idea. And I have no excuse right now for not getting out more while I am here in Sunnyvale.

I know you will do great with your weight loss.

Julie said...

I am SO rooting for you to be in a bikini and feeling awesome for your anniversary! I think its awesome that you and hubby are doing it together.

p.s. 97 as a nighttime temperature is insane to me. When we flew back to Seattle on Monday 10am, it was 55--aah, nature's air conditioning.