Tuesday, June 3, 2008

When I grow up...

Another blogger recently posted about her struggles to maintain balance between work and home, and what struck me about her post and the responses to it was that A LOT of us would rather be doing something else. Sure, we like our jobs, make good money, are well-trained at what we do, but for many of us there's that secret career we really wish we had. For her it's interior design. For me....it's comedy.

Seriously. Stop laughing. Unless you found that humorous and comedic, then laugh away. My friends and family know I'm telling the truth. There was a period, probably lasting through college, where I spent alot of time daydreaming about becoming a stand-up comedian. No, I never tried an open-mic night. Too chicken. I'm not sure if I'm even all that funny, although people tell me I am all the time. Of course we all know being funny when you're at a party does not necessarily translate into being a good stand-up comedian.

Oh, well. Maybe one day when I get sick of being a vet I'll chuck it all and you'll see me on Last Comic Standing. Probably not, but you never know...

5 comments:

JenFen said...

A comedic vet - there is a combo for ya. It occured to me when I was reading thru all the May mommy blogs that you are about as close to a neighbor as I can get. 29 Palms is only about a 3 hour car trip from Vegas. I guess I never realized that is where you lived until I saw your blog.

Julie said...

I was thinking food critic... I could use my analytical skills from my former life, plus someone would pay me to eat out! My husband wants to be Rick Steeves if his career ever takes a dump.

-Bridget said...

You know when I wrote that post, I half expected a bunch of comments saying "suck it up buttercup, do your job." I'm so releived that so many could relate to my post. It is so nice to hear I'm not alone.

It is also fun to hear what other moms would rather be doing. Based on what I've read on your blog, I say you should try an open mic night one time. Let us know how it goes. I'll bet you'll be a hit!

LauraC said...

I also say go for open mic night. Jon and I talk all the time about how we have no other aspirations. Every aptitude test I've ever taken comes back software development or accountant. I think I've realized this is what I'm going to be when I grow up :)

Rita said...

Wow! A Comic eh? That would freak me out. But then again, I'm not really that funny. Sometimes, when I've had a few drinks, I can make some people laugh - but they may be laughing at me, not with me, so who knows.

I've personally always wanted to be a singer. Maybe some day..