Wednesday, April 29, 2009

These dreams...

It seem like with this pregnancy, hormones are affecting me in really weird ways. I'm SOOOO much more exhausted than I was with J -- everyone keeps telling me it's because I have a toddler to chase after, but this is the most exhausted I've ever been since...well, since J was a newborn. I can barely make it through the days when I work and don't have the luxury of taking an afternoon nap with J. It doesn't help that suddenly J is waking up every freaking day by 5:30a.m. and that until this week I've been the only doctor at work, but still. I should be able to stay awake past my 3-year-old's bedtime (8pm) but it's really hard. And the past couple of weeks I've had this weird insomnia where I wake up at 2am and then can't...go...back...to...sleep, for at least an hour or two. Then I'm up at 5:30am with Mr. Wakey Wakey and it all starts over...

The strangest part, though, has been the very vivid, and very strange dreams I've been having. For some reason, the majority of the dreams lately have been nightmares or at the very least, very tense. The other day I dreamed that we were at a children's museum-type place with J and a bunch of other kids, and at some point I got separated from TH and J, and then I found TH frantically looking for J, who had gotten lost. It was a horrible dream, it seemed like we were looking for him everywhere, and then we started yelling at each other about whose fault it was that he was missing. I had an even more vivid dream last night that we lived in a really, really big mansion and the power went out, and as TH and I stumbled around looking for candles we heard J falling down the world's longest flight of stairs, but it was so dark we couldn't figure out how to get to him so we had to keep listening to him falling down the stairs...weird.

The only other time in my life that I've had dreams this vivid is when I spent a summer during college in Panama and was taking daily anti-malaria medication. Those dreams were damn near hallucinogenic, they were so real. My dreams lately have been that realistic. This morning, after the J-falling-down-500-stairs dream, when I woke up (at 2am, of course) my heart was racing and my legs were shaking.

Yuck. If I'm going to have super-realistic dreams, why can't they be sexy dreams involving Clive Owen, or Daniel Craig, or even Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs? I'm just saying.

I threw in Daniel Craig because TH and I watched Quantum of Solace the other night and I told him I think Daniel Craig is kind of ugly. This is not exactly the truth. He is a bit weird-looking, but when I see him in 007 movies...yes, please.

4 comments:

Steph said...

I had to laugh at your Daniel Craig comment because I totally agree. 007, bring it on!

Mel said...

I miss Pierce as 007, but I digress....Preggo dreams can be so weird! I had one where a giant wave from a tsunami washed into the beach house where we were staying and then I could not find Analese anywhere. And like you, I woke up with heart pounding. Hormones!

LauraC said...

Yes! These are the kinds of dreams I have been having on Mirena. Ones where some higu school kid drowned Alex. Bad bad stuff. Of course I see the obvious HORMONE connection but my doc treated me like I was an insane person when I got mirena out today.

(I always say Daniel Craig is ugly too.)

Joanna said...

I have hormone related dreams every month. Nothing as bad as what you are having, but messed up all the same. When I wake up, it feels like I've already had a full day because the dreams are so vivid. And the exhaustion feels like I've been awake all day. It sucks.

The good thing is that this WILL go away when the little bean is born, but it's going to be a long road getting there.