Monday, November 30, 2009

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

So…yeah. Thanksgiving. I don’t even have the energy to recount the whole crazy saga but suffice it to say that:

  • We flew with both kids for the first time. J was amazingly well-behaved throughout both airports and on the flights. Which was good because on the way there, when we got on the plane the guy in front of us groaned and said loudly, “Great, there’s little kids behind us” the same way you would say “Great, I just stepped in dog sh--.”. Jr. of course slept, nursed, looked around for 5 minutes, and then slept some more.
  • Sleeping on a fold-out sofa bed with a newborn and a toddler – NEVER AGAIN.
  • J really likes snow. And mountains. He kept proclaiming that he wants to move to “Denber.” Me too, kid, me too.
  • We all got sick. Except, miraculously for Jr., whose only symptom despite all of us repeatedly coughing and sneezing in his face has been mild nasal congestion. TH and I both had sore throats Monday morning before our flight, and by Wednesday we were all coughing, sneezing, stuffed up, and kind of miserable. On top of that, for the first time in my Colorado-born-and-raised life I experienced altitude sickness, which I kind of thought wasn’t a real thing until last week. It all culminated in J vomiting 3 days in a row, not from an upset stomach but from gagging after a severe coughing fit. One vomiting episode involved chocolate milk and us having to trade in our rental car because of the, um, mess, and another was right in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. Awesome.
  • As usual I want to move back home. More than ever.

In other news…today was my first day back at work. Weird. In some ways, it’s almost like I never left, like having Jr. and going on maternity leave never happened. I had appointments lined up as soon as I walked in the door, and multiple surgeries and emergencies. I almost forgot that I needed to pump until I started, ahem, leaking. My clients were so happy to see me, and *most* of my patients managed to still be alive and well in my absenceJ. J was happy enough to go see his friends at daycare, and thankfully TH has managed to work out a work-from-home schedule for a few weeks so Jr. won’t have to start daycare until January when he’s 13-14 weeks old. So in that sense, it was a little easier for me this time around because I knew the baby was in good hands and I already have excellent childcare for J.

On the other hand, I was so torn this morning when I left for work. I’ve enjoyed being home with Jr. so much more than I did with J, partly because he’s a waaaay easier baby than J was, and partly because I’m waaaaay more relaxed and confident this time around. Especially in the last couple of weeks, since he’s been “talking” and smiling at me and looking into my eyes when he’s nursing. I’m falling in love with this little guy, just like I did the first time. I had days where I really thought I could be a stay at home mom, and other days (see previous posts LOL) where I thought I was going to go crazy being home with the two of them. But I realized today as I was doing surgery and laughing with my coworkers that I really am happiest when I can have both worlds. I get a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment from my job that I just MISS when I’m at home, even though I feel like being a mom is the most rewarding thing I do. It’s all a balancing act, and I’m so far from reaching a perfect balance, but I think it’s going to be okay.


LauraC said...

I know exactly what you mean about wanting both worlds! That's why I keep working! Very jealous of the second baby experience though bc I would love to be more relaxed. ha ha!

Jon and I always each sleep with a boy in a bed when we travel. We've tried other combos with the same experience NEVER AGAIN. We trade off sleeping with Alex bc he is the craziest sleeper.

Also not sure if you missed all the May06 bbc mom posts bc you were having junior around that time... but we made our meetup into an annual thing and we're hitting Vegas next fall. With hopes to meet you! So don't move to Denver too soon.

(I ALWAYS get altitude sickness.)

Julie said...

I too get altitude sickness and its pretty miserable, especially the headache and insomnia. Sorry about the barfing--that's never fun, but at least Jr. didn't get the cold/cough. Airplanes are the germiest place on earth, next to the pediatrician's office.

Congrats on going back to work! I am a little jealous, I will admit. I was just about to write a post about the downsides of being a SAHM, but my brain is not functioning well enough to write anything coherent, which is the #1 downside of being a SAHM--brain malfunction.

Libby said...

I think working makes me a better mom and a better person. I love what I do, and it would be such a waste to have gone to school all those years and be paying those loans (oh, the loans!) to not continue, and it makes me more patient and thankful of the time I DO have with the kids. My kids always ask in the morning- "Is it a Mommy-Day, a Daddy-Day, or a School-Day??"

Anyway, happy to read that you're glad you went back after baby #2. Been there done that, and it's not easy. DON'T miss the pumping however!

I was trying to figure out how to email you, but I gave up and settled for a comment. I read your comment on LauraC's blog (she's a college friend of mine) and realized we have quite a lot in common... I'm a 30-something veterinarian with two little boys too!